Hockey / The Ravens Snatch a Win from the Outlaws

The Ravens Snatch a Win from the Outlaws

Date:  Source: NPHL Tri-City Outlaws

By: Jimmy Grosklaus

This past weekend, the Tri City Outlaws (0-2-0-0, 0pts) traveled to Kent Valley Ice Centre to take on the Seattle Ravens (2-0-0-0, 4pts) for the first time this season. Coming into the game, Seattle was coming off of a big weekend against the West Sound Warriors, the Outlaws, on the other hand, were still trying to get the kinks worked out having lost their first two contests in Eugene.

The Outlaws started off on the right foot when they found themselves on the power play to start the game due to a penalty drawn in warmups, crossing the center line, by the Ravens. Though the first period went scoreless, the game was a tight goaltending battle with the shot count being 15-13 in favor of the Ravens.

Coming out onto the ice for the next period, the Outlaws knew they needed to strike first and that’s just what they did. At the 8:08 mark, Adam Shimamoto found himself all alone on a short handed breakaway, thanks to a great pass up ice from Payton Okon, and was able to put the puck through the legs of goaltender Josh Stone.   Shimamoto’s goal was the first for the Outlaws this season and came at a great time. 

“It was exciting and a great experience to get back on the ice and get things going (having been out the first two games). As a team were going to keep the ball rolling this next weekend and there will be more scoring out of all of us,” stated Shimamoto on his first goal of the season. 

Meanwhile throughout the game Outlaws netminder, Jimmy Grosklaus, was being his usual self, stopping anything that threatened his net.  The shots in the second period were 10-19 in favor of the Ravens.

The Outlaws took the ice for the third period up by one. Both teams came out hungry to get the next goal as they both knew it would determine the outcome of the game. Late in the game things turned for the Ravens as John Nauman was able to find the back of the net, knotting things up at one.  A few minutes later, Ryan Donlan was able to put the Ravens up 2-1 and would get the momentum going in the opposite direction.  The Outlaws would continue to fight hard, pulling Grosklaus for the extra attacker and a goal by Payton Okon to tie the game up would be waived off at the final horn. 

When asked about the contreversial goal, “Frustrating!  Just frustrating is all I can say,” Okon expressed.  “From my view it was in and I was ready for some overtime but the officials saw it a different way.”  When all was said and done the Ravens skated away with the victory and would close out the third period with the shot count at 17-8 for the Ravens.

The Outlaws will have to get emotions settled down after a disappointing loss in Seattle and will look to take their frustrations out on the West Sound Warrriors in Bremerton, WA next weekend for a two game set.  The Warriors are also looking for their first win of the season after getting beat by the Ravens and Generals the last couple of weekends.


  • Final score: Outlaws 1, Ravens 2
  • Shots: Outlaws 31, Ravens 51
  • Power Plays: Outlaws 0 for 6, Ravens 0 for 4