Hockey / Outlaws Drop the Opening Series of the Season

Outlaws Drop the Opening Series of the Season

Date:  Source: NPHL Tri-City Outlaws

This past weekend, the Tri-City Outlaws traveled to Eugene, OR for a pair of games against the Eugene Generals. This was the first time either team has suited up with a USPHL patch on their jersey, as both teams, along with the Seattle Ravens, and the West Sound Warriors made the move into the top developmental league in the country this past offseason.

On Friday, the Outlaws had a good showing in the first period though the Generals managed to outshoot the young team 22-12. At 6:55 of the first, Bradley Maddox of Eugene took a checking from behind penalty sending the Outlaws to their first powerplay of the season. The Outlaws were able to get shots on the powerplay but were unable to produce any goals. The period remained scoreless, with both goalies making marvelous saves, until 18:35 when Nash Berkowitz was able to put one past the Outlaws netminder, Jimmy Grosklaus.  Just over a minute later the Generals were able to add some distance between them and the Outlaws before the period when Logan Sanders scored at 19:41 mark.  

Coming out of the locker room the Outlaws needed the next goal to keep pace with the Generals.  However, at the 5:04 mark of the second the Generals Frazier Mohler put even more distance between them and the Outlaws.  With sustained pressure coming from the Outlaws one could only hope that eventually the puck would find the back of the net.  Instead the Outlaws were struck with a couple of penalties assessed to forward Aaron Questad and spent time killing these penalties instead of focusing on getting the puck in the net.  The Generals would score once more before the second period came to an end when Mohler would strike again to make it 4-0. 

Going into the third period the Outlaws knew they still had a chance to get back in the game but they would need to find the back of the net to make that happen.  Eugene would keep up the pressure when Kyle Lund would score at the 3:02 mark to make it 5-0 Generals.  Lund would find the net once more at the 6:11 mark which led to Outlaws netminder Grosklaus getting the rest of the night off and replaced by rookie, Klamath Falls native, Shane Phillips.  This was a great opportunity for Phillips to get some time in net and see some rubber.  Later on in the period the Outlaws would find some more scoring opportunities slip away and eventually ended up losing the game 7-0. 

One thing that the Outlaws could tip their hat to is that of the six powerplays that Eugene had not once did they score on the visiting Outlaws.  The Outlaws looked to improve off of this stat going into game two of the series on Saturday night. 



Final Score: Generals 7, Outlaws 0

Shots: Generals 77, Outlaws 35

Power Plays: Generals 0-6, Outlaws 0-2


On Saturday night, the Outlaws were seeking revenge on the Generals from the night prior but the Generals made sure it wouldn’t happen in their barn.  Only one minute into the contest a shot from Cody Arbelovsky would get by rookie netminder, Shane Phillips to get the Generals on the board first.  The Outlaws would settle things down quickly and try and get the momentum back.  However, at the 12:29 mark of the period both Payton Okon and Kraig Smith would be assessed penalties to put the Generals on a very favorable 5 on 3 power play.  The Outlaws were able to kill off all six penalty kills the night prior and were looking to do the same here.  Generals Logan Sanders would not let that stat stick for two nights in a row as he would find the back of the net at the 13:18 mark.  The Generals would add a third goal just over a minute later and that’s how it would stay at the end of the first.  The Outlaws were outshot 21-4 by the end of the period.

In the second period the Outlaws were able to slow down the offensive attack of the Generals early on and were given a 5 on 3 of their own. Arbelovsky would go to the box for a trip to join his teammate Logan Sanders who was previously penalized.  The Outlaws tried to take advantage of the 5 on 3 but eventually wouldn’t be able to do anything with it.  The Generals would make the Outlaws pay for the mistake when they eventually would score shorthanded at the 9:28 mark of the period to make it 4-0.  Minutes later Frazier Mohler would pick up where he left off the night before and pad the Generals lead.  Things then would get a little chippy when Outlaws forward Matt Latshaw would be ejected from the game for a slew foot and Eugene’s Cole Bloemer would be given a match penalty for kicking at the 12:52 mark of the second.  The Generals would continue the offensive attack when Baxter Cox would make the score 5-0 heading into the locker room. 

To start the third Jimmy Grosklaus would take over for rookie Shane Phillips in net.  The Outlaws repeatedly shot the puck at the net, but were unable to have any luck locating the back of the net. The Generals would score at 8:11 from Cox and again at 18:45 on a rebound from Jack Thornton. The Outlaws played their best period of the weekend during this third despite being outshot 13-11. The final score would go on to be 8-0.  A lot was learned from the weekend and the team will now head back to Tri-City for a week full of practice and game plans will now shift to the Ravens.  The Outlaws will travel to Seattle to take on the Ravens, next Saturday, September 24.




Final Score: Generals 8, Outlaws 0

Shots: Generals 49, Outlaws 19

Power Plays: Generals 2-4, Outlaws 0-5