Hockey / Week 6 Recap: Four point weekends by Marian and Lewis put Marian in first place while Lewis jumps into a tie for second

Week 6 Recap: Four point weekends by Marian and Lewis put Marian in first place while Lewis jumps into a tie for second

Date:  Source: Northern Collegiate Hockey League

The battle between Concordia University WI and Marian University went to Marian University, as they took both games of the weekend series. Marian, therefore, increased their winning streak to nine games, took sole possession of first place in the conference standings, and handed CUW their first losses of the season. Even with the two losses CUW still holds onto a piece of second place, which they share with three teams, Aurora University, Marquette University, and Lewis University.
Lewis University was able to jump into that four way tie for second place by virtue of their sweep of University of Wisconsin Oshkosh. This jump has produced a large gap, five points, between the top five teams and the bottom three. Lewis kept up their offensive output during the series, scoring seven goals in each contest, and showed resiliency in their back and forth one goal victory on Friday night. UWO is in a precarious position now, sitting in last place, and missing out on one of the six conference tournament spots.
In non-conference action Aurora University split with Illinois State University and DePaul University was swept by Lindenwood University.
The first rankings for the ACHA D2 came out this past weekend and one team, Aurora University, is currently ranked, coming in at #10.
Marian University’s four point weekend moves them into first place:
Concordia University WI welcomed Marian University to Ozaukee, WI for game one of their home and home series. A major penalty on Marian’s Miles Giorgione at 8:02 into the opening stanza gave CUW five minutes to get on the board first. Unfortunately, CUW was not able to net one goal during their five minutes of man advantage and Colby Sherlock, assisted by Tyren Boots, put home a shorthanded goal for Marian. Marian extended their lead to 2-0 at the 12:37 mark off the stick of Daniel Liberko, assisted by Karl Lavoie and Brandon Mills. Only 79 ticks of the clock came off after Liberko’s goal before Bryton Tomko, assisted by Connor Rosaasen and Connor Martin, made the score 3-0. The final six minutes were played scoreless and after twenty minutes of play Marian held a three goal advantage.
Having spotted Marian three goals CUW needed to get on the board and swing the momentum back their way. They only needed 41 seconds from the periods opening puck drop to finally get a tally on the board. Scoring for CUW was Logan Hascarl, with assists by Jonathan Grodzki and Cody Faber. Marian would go back up by three with a powerplay goal by Tomko, his second of the game. Credited with assists on Tomko’s goal at 6:37 were Martin and Rosaasen. At the 9:05 mark Scott Gregor, assisted by Easton Williams and Wyatt Wilderman, brought CUW back within two with his powerplay goal. The back and forth continued and 3:36 later Marian’s Alex Lindeman, assisted by Sheamus Stoyle, put Marian up 5-2. The second period’s final goal hit the back of the net with 3:05 left on the clock and was scored by Wilderman while on the powerplay; credited with assists were Grodzki and Hascarl.
After a five goal outburst in period two the goaltenders stood tall in period three, holding the other team scoreless. CUW did have two amazing chances, one a breakaway and the other a point blank shot in the low slot, while on the penalty kill with under three minutes to go in regulation, but each were denied, keeping the score 5-3 in favor of Marian. The only goal of the period came after CUW had pulled their goaltender, Mack Willy, for an extra attacker. Scoring the game’s final goal, an emptynetter, was Karl Lavoie, who was assisted by Liberko.
Stopping 26 of the 29 shots he faced in victory was Justin Davidson, while Mack Willy turned away 36 of the 41 shots on net by Marian in the loss.
CUW traveled north to Fond du lac, WI for game two with Marian. The first goal of the contest came with 4:32 left in the first period and was scored by Marian’s Connor Martin. At the 16:11 mark, Connor Doyle was put in the penalty box for tripping. Marian needed only 43 seconds of the man advantage to increase their lead to 2-0. Scoring the powerplay goal for Marian was Paul Kinder, with assists by Lucas Brown and Tyren Boots. While on a 4-on-4, Connor Rosaasen was assessed a two minute minor for hooking, at 18:38, giving CUW a 4-on-3 powerplay. CUW was not denied as in previous powerplay attempts earlier in the period and with 58 ticks left on the clock Jonathan Grodzki, assisted by Cody Faber, brought the score to 2-1.
Period two started with Marian clinging to a one goal lead at 2-1 and that is where things would sit when the period came to an end. Neither team was able to find the back of the net during the second 20 minutes of regulation despite Marian having one powerplay opportunity and CUW three.
The scoreless streak continued into the third period and it was not until CUW pulled their goaltender to gain an extra attacker that a puck crossed the goal line. Unfortunately for CUW they were not the one’s to score the goal, that honor went to Marian’s Martin, credited with assists were Bryton Tomko and Lucas Brown, at 14:14. The final 5:46 was played scoreless and Marian escaped with a 3-1 victory and series sweep.
In net for the victorious Marian Sabres was William McCreight, who stopped 28 of 29 shots on goal. Taking the loss for the second night in a row was Mack Willy, turning back 36 of the 38 shots he faced.
Lewis University sweeps University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, puts them in a four way tie for second:
Lewis showed no signs of weary legs from the trip up to Oshkosh, WI as they put the first score on the board at 37 seconds. Scoring for Lewis was Joe Fiandaca, assisted by Matthew Sharpe and John Darcy. The score became 2-0 at the 2:00 mark when Dylan Parshall, assisted by Chris Estey and Darcy, tickled the twine. Off the ensuing face-off UWO drove the length of the ice and Zach Johnson found the back of the net; credited with assists were Noah Krueger and Richard Brown. The early period scoring continued at the 3:56 mark as Anthony Grebe pulled UWO even with Lewis at 2-2. It would then be almost 12 minutes before the next puck found pay dirt. Scoring at 15:36, while on the powerplay, was Lewis’ Zac Bishop, with assists by Conor Johnson and Fiandaca. Grebe netted the equalizer, for the second time in the period, 78 seconds later. With 2:05 left in the first period UWO took the lead for the first time in the game. Putting UWO up by one was Mike Chavez. After 20 minutes of play UWO was up 4-3.
Zach Johnson increased the UWO lead to two 9:50 into the second period, with an assist by Chavez. Lewis cut the lead back down to one when Matthew Moro, assisted by Nicholas Madej and Bishop, lit the lamp with 1:27 left before the second intermission.
As the third period commenced UWO held a tenuous 5-4 lead. Bishop would net his second goal of the game at the 6:28 mark, making the score 5-5. UWO regained the lead 85 seconds later off the stick of Z. Johnson, his third goal of the night, assisted by Brady Wright and Chavez. Only 62 seconds would elapse before Estey tied the game for the fourth time, when he put the puck past UWO goaltender Quaid Agard; credited with an assist was Moro. Bishop netted the hat trick with five minutes left in regulation, with an assist by Estey. Lewis kept the offensive pressure during the final five minutes, thanks in part to UWO penalties. As a result, Bishop’s third goal ended up being the game winner and Lewis came away with a hard fought 7-6 victory.
Earning the victory for Lewis in game one was Justin Carricato, stopping 29 of 35 shots on goal. Credited with the loss for UWO was Quaid Agard, who blocked 46 of 53 shots on net.
Fresh of their 7-6 victory the night before, Lewis wasted no time taking the lead in game two. All it took was 34 seconds before David Pickell, assisted by John Darcy and Nicholas Madej, put Lewis up on the scoreboard. Anthony Grebe put home the game’s lone UWO goal, assisted by Glenn Emanuelson and Scott Johnson, at the 6:48 mark, tying the game at one, which is how the first period ended.
The first ten minutes of the second period saw both Lewis and UWO have a powerplay opportunity but neither were able to capitalize. That changed when Ethan Rentmeester was called for an interference penalty at the 11:46 mark. The Lewis powerplay unit only need 27 seconds for Zac Bishop, assisted by Matthew Ernsting and Chris Estey, to light the lamp, giving Lewis a 2-1 lead. The lead expanded to two off an Ernsting goal at 14:06; credited with assists were Bishop and Dylan Parshall. Pickell scored his second goal of the game with 2:10 left in the second period and was assisted by Madej. When the horn sounded the end of 40 minutes of play Lewis held a 4-1 lead.
Lewis kept up the offensive pressure in the third period, helped by three early penalties on UWO. They were also able to weather a UWO 5-on-3 powerplay. Near the end of that 2-man advantage UWO’s Zach Jonson was whistled for a roughing minor. The ensuing powerplay for Lewis allowed them to once again put a goal up on the scoreboard. Scoring their fifth goal, and his third of the game, was Pickell, assisted by Conor Johnson, at 13:17. Less than 30 seconds later Lewis went up 6-1 when Frank Panos, assisted by Erik Pikowitz and Bishop, put the puck past UWO goaltender Taven Santucci. Panos scored again at 14:44, closing out the game’s scoring, to bring the final score to 7-1 in favor of Lewis. Credited with assists on Panos’ second goal were Pikowitz and Matthew Gore.
Earning the victory was Colton Edling, turning away 29 of 30 shots on goal. Taking the loss was Taven Santucci, stopping 49 of the 56 shots he faced.
Aurora University split with Illinois State University, losing 4-3(OT) on Friday and winning 6-3 on Saturday.
DePaul University was swept by Lindenwood University, losing 5-0 on Saturday and 6-1 on Sunday.
Marquette University
Robert Morris University – Maroon