Playoffs 2015

If you have any questions or problems with the league statistics contact:
League Admin
use the links to the left to share this


Cambridge survives Stratford comeback, wins 3-2

Galt Arena Gardens    Sat, Feb 28, 2015

The Cambridge Winter Hawks survived a determined comeback attempt by the Stratford Cullitons on the way to a 3-2 win.

Cambridge made the score 3-1 on a goal by Zack Magwood at 19:16 in the third period, and Stratford got as close as 3-2 when Patrick McKelvie scored 19:31 into the third period.

With the win, the Winter Hawks evened the series at 1-1 in the best of seven showdown.

Mitch Atkins was all over the ice for Cambridge, as he racked up two goals in the win. Atkins found the back of the net 7:27 into the first period to make the score 1-0 Cambridge and again while 4:22 into the second to make the score 2-0 Cambridge.

Referees had their hands full with a major incident at 5:27 into the third period. Four fighting penalties were dished out along with three game misconducts.

The Winter Hawks put up an impenetrable defensive front on the penalty kill, and did not allow the Cullitons to score on any of their five power plays. Cambridge's offense rang up 36 shots on Stratford's net.

Cambridge also got points from Magwood, who also had one goal and one assist. In addition, Cambridge received assists from Jordan Chard, Kyle Liu, Kalob Witzell, Zack Hedley, and Alex Bottigoni, who contributed one each.

The Cullitons excelled on the penalty kill, not giving up a single goal in four chances. Stratford forced the Winter Hawks goalie Lucas Machalski to work between the pipes, taking 44 shots.

The Cullitons were helped by Hayden Broomhead, who tallied one goal. Broomhead scored 16:41 into the second period to make the score 2-1 Cambridge. Shane O Brien assisted on the tally. More assists for Stratford came via Tyson Baker, who had one and Deven Kropf, who had two.

Cambridge's Machalski stopped 42 shots out of the 44 that he faced. The Winter Hawks ended with 17 minutes in penalty time with six minors and one major. Team's Beau Goehrum and Phil Caputo were slapped with misconducts and ejected from the game. Nicholas Caldwell rejected 33 shots on goal for Stratford. The Cullitons ended with 16 minutes in penalty time with three minors and two majors. For Stratford, Jared Nash and Jeff McArdle were ejected from the contest.